Tomatoes often get a bad rap because they are a nightshade, but the truth is they are loaded with antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins like C, K, Folate, and Potassium.
Tomatoes are also high in lycopene, an antioxidant that can help remove the free radicals in our bodies. These antioxidants help the liver to function optimally, metabolizing and removing toxins from our bodies which is why I like to include in my diet when I detox.
Tomatoes are also good for your digestion, blood circulation and boosts the immune system.
This soup recipe is incredibly flavorful and loaded with antioxidants and vitamins. It also includes other detoxifying ingredients like garlic, ginger, and onions. A perfect combination for helping your body get rid of unwanted toxins and improving metabolism!
Detox Tomato Soup
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. healthy cooking oil (avocado, olive, coconut, etc.)
- 2 – 14.5 ounce cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes (or fresh roasted tomatoes)
- 3-4 cups vegetable stock (My favorite homemade recipe)
- Herbs of choice – I use basil, oregano, and parsley (fresh or dried)
- Sea salt & black pepper, to taste
- A few pinches of cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
Heat oil in a medium pot then onions, ginger and garlic saute for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes and stock then cook for a couple more minutes. Season to taste.
You can puree your soup or leave it chunky.