Almonds have many health benefits but did you know they can help you get a good night’s sleep? This is because almonds are a source of hormone melatonin and the sleep-enhancing mineral magnesium.
- Melatonin regulates your internal clock and signals your brain and body to prepare for sleep.
- Magnesium helps improve sleep quality, especially for those who have insomnia. Magnesium helps reduce inflammation and reduce levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which is known to interrupt sleep.
Try a handful tonight and see if they improve your sleep quality!
Other reasons to snack on almonds
There are countless reasons to include almonds in your daily diet, Almonds have healthy fats, fiber, and antioxidants—all contributing to improved health in numerous areas. In fact, studies have shown that snacking on almonds regularly can lower risks of a chronic diseases, such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
- Healthy fats are a major source of energy and helps you absorb the vitamins and minerals that are in the foods you eat. Healthy fats are essential for our bodies to function properly.
- Fiber promotes healthy bacteria which helps enhance the immune system and fights off infection and disease. Fiber also keeps us regular and aid in weight loss. Fiber is your friend!
- Antioxidants remove free radicals from the body cells and prevent or reduce the damage caused by oxidation. They protect your cells from harmful inflammation that can lead to chronic diseases. (A very basic explanation: Free Radicals & Antioxidants for Dummies)