Get Your Ducks in a Row!
Do you need to get more organized? Do you feel like you are surrounded by messes?
It is a proven fact that people who are organized feel better and are generally happier; getting organized is a little choice that matters.
When you clean up your living space, your work space, your car, your purse, your junk drawers (ahem!), you are cleaning up a mess. A mess can be defined as “any disagreement between the way you desire things to be and the way they actually are.”
Where are your messes? Did you know that messes or disorder can actually steal your peace, create anxiety, and drain your energy?
There are many benefits to getting organized and they are not just about feeling better.
- You can SAVE MONEY if you know where things are. You don’t have to go out and buy the extra bottle of ketchup if you already have one in its very own spot in your pantry. You will know where it is and save money at the store.
- Have you ever rushed around and been late because you couldn’t find your glasses or your keys? Being organized and having a place for everything will SAVE you TIME.
- Speaking of being late – does being late stress you out? You can REDUCE STRESS by being organized since clutter and disorder are actually linked to depression and anxiety. Simply taking steps towards greater organization can really help to lower your stress level.
- If you aren’t feeling drained constantly and don’t need to run around searching for your favorite shoes you left by the garage door, you will have MORE ENERGY for family, for friends, and for YOURSELF! You can read the book, listen to the teaching CD, set the goal, enjoy the family outing, or pursue the next dream!
- You will be more CONFIDENT if you aren’t worried about someone needing a ride in your messy car – or you take too long in line at the grocery store digging in your messy purse to find your debit card. Do you cringe at the thought of someone just stopping by your home to say hello? The FLY Lady calls this CHAOS (Can’t Have Anyone Over Syndrome). When you don’t feel like you have to apologize to your unexpected guests for your messy home, you will feel better about your home and yourself. Conquer chaos with organization. It builds confidence and is directly related to a positive self-image.
If you think you don’t have time to get organized, start with the 10 or 20 minutes you DO have and tackle one little task at a time. NOW IS THE TIME! Schedule ten minutes a day. Think about it. Ten minutes a day adds up to an hour and ten minutes each week!
The first day, just make a list of your messes! It seems so simple and silly, but seriously. Write down your messes and stick it to your refrigerator. Then the next day, tackle one of those messes and CROSS IT OFF! It will feel so good to see yourself making headway.
This is a great challenge for all of us to get moving in the right direction. It is proof that making little choices every day can change your life!
*These benefits are taken from teachings by Terri Savelle Foy in her Vision 101 course*