How are you conditioned?
What exactly does that mean?
Merriam-Webster dictionary defines conditioned as:
Have a significant influence on or determine (the manner or outcome of something).
Train or accustom (someone or something) to behave in a certain way or to accept certain circumstances.
Naturally we are humans of habit and conditioning. We condition our lifestyles by creating certain routines and habits which become outcomes of our lives.
One of the biggest questions about healthy eating and lifestyle is how do you maintain it? It really comes down to permanent change of your conditioning. You have to create a new condition. Our bodies remember our old routines like a good old pair of comfy pair of slippers. This is what makes it so easy it to cave in and quit and give up and return to the previous conditioned state.
How long does it take to recondition? I believe that once we have conditioned to a certain skill set and we spend years doing so, we will always have to fight the desire to return to what we knew as a comfortable condition.
Is it possible to change? Of course it is possible to change your conditioning if you always keep it as an important factor in your day to day life. You have to decide to change forever and then every single day apply skills that support your new lifestyle. It does not come naturally so you have to do the work. You have to make conscious choices everyday that will help you to live a better life. Here are some tips to help you stay focused and learn to apply your new condition.
1. Set a routine. Start your day with the purpose of setting a goal for the day, week, month etc. You want to always stay focused on your goals.
2. Surround yourself with supporting materials. Join a support group, make friends with similar goals, change what you do and where you hang out and this will help you surround yourself with new beginnings.
3. Plan your menus. I know this seems simple but most do not do it, and therefore in the hustle of life will look for a simple fix and many times this leads them back to the old comfy slippers.
4. Read or watch health related shows. This will help you reprogram and stay in the moment for the day.
5. Try new things and break up the old habits. Try adding in a walk everyday, or some sort of exercise.
You can change and that change can be permanent if you do the new condition longer than you did the old one. You may remember the old ways from time to time but eventually your new conditioned ways will take over as the new comfy pair of slippers. All it takes is desire, applying the desire and then continue educating yourself to keep the changes permanent forever.