We all know how important fiber is when we are plugged up. But fiber does so much more than keep us regular! Fiber promotes healthy bacteria which helps enhance the immune system and fights off infection and disease. And it makes you feel fuller faster and keeps you fuller longer! Who doesn’t like the sound of that?
Our goal should be to consume 14 grams of fiber for every 1,000 calories of food we eat each day but I suggest you try and consume at least 25 grams a day. Try to get as much as you can in during the morning hours. Studies show that those who have the majority of their daily fiber intake in the morning, eat less throughout the rest of the day!
Here are just a few things you can do to start your day with fiber.
- Add fruit, raisins, prunes and even some flaxseeds to your breakfast cereal
- Spread avocado on your sprouted toast or bagel instead of butter
- Toss some nuts, oats and seeds into your yogurt or shakes
- Snack on some Healthy Choice Granola
- Have an apple and a flaxmeal muffin for a morning snack