Your diet plays a key role in your inflammation. Including the right kinds of food is your diet will help reduce inflammation.
Foods to Lose
Foods that cause inflammation and should be avoided are:
- Processed foods (with ingredients you can’t pronounce)
- Food containing high amounts of refined sugar
- Refined carbohydrates (white bread, white pasta, etc.)
- High-fructose corn syrup
- Sodas and other sugar-sweetened beverages
- Trans fats (often found in processed foods)
- Certain oils (i.e. vegetable, soybean, and corn oil)
- Extensively processed meat
- Excessive alcohol
Foods to Choose
God has given us plenty of beverages and foods that reduce inflammation. Your diet should provide a healthy balance of protein, carbs, fiber and healthy fat at each meal. Base your diet on whole, nutrient-dense foods especially ones that contain antioxidants. Antioxidants work by reducing levels of free radicals. (Read Free Radical and Antioxidants for Dummies – A Very Basic Explanation).
If you’re looking for an eating plan that closely follows the tenets of anti-inflammatory eating, consider the Mediterranean diet, which is high in fruits, vegetables, nuts, whole grains, fish, and healthy oils. You may also consider the Ketogenic Diet.
Foods that reduce inflammation include:
- Bell peppers
- Chili peppers
- Green leafy vegetables (spinach, kale, and collards)
- Bok Choy
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Green tea
- Dark chocolate
- Chia Seeds
- Almonds, walnuts and other nuts
- Red wine (Up to 5 ounces/day)
For more information, visit our page dedicated to reducing inflammation.