Did you know that the term coleslaw comes from the Dutch meaning Cabbage Salad? There are many variations of this yummy side dish posted around the internet, but I thought I’d share my favorite recipe. I made it for a dinner party and it was a hit. I love to double the recipe and enjoy it all week!
Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable making it low in carbs but loaded with nutrients. This quick and easy coleslaw recipe makes for a perfect a perfect low carb side dish.
Classic Creamy Coleslaw
- 4 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup shredded purple cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 red onion, slivers or diced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (One of my favorites)
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp raw honey
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (+/- to taste)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (+/- to taste)
Combine salad ingredients large mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine ingredients for dressing, blending well to combine. Pour over shredded vegetables and stir well to coat. Refrigerate for at least one hour before serving. The longer it sits, the more the cabbage absorbs the ingredient flavors.