Skip the store-bought jar and make this homemade salsa instead!
This is an incredibly simple salsa recipe and adaptable to your desired spice level. Fresh ingredients make this a great tasting salsa but if you do not have fresh tomatoes, you can use canned. You may need to drain the tomatoes depending on your liking.
Simple Garden Fresh Pico De Gallo Salsa
- 4 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (or 2 (15-ounce) cans fire-roasted tomatoes)
- 1/3 cup chopped red, white or sweet onion
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 medium jalapeños, seeds removed (For hotter salsa, leave seeds and membrane intact.)
- 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
Mix all ingredients together. For a less chunky version place ingredient in a food processor and pulse until chopped small.
This salsa improves with time so if you have the option, set it aside in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more before serving. Store in the refrigerator up to 10 days.